Rosmead Central Primary School was established in 1940 under the auspices of the Coloured Affairs Department to serve the communities of Claremont, Kenilworth, Harfield and Lansdowne.
Initially, the school only catered for Std 4, 5 and 6, but as numbers continued to grow other
standards were introduced. In the latter half of the 1950’s the building became too small to
accommodate all the pupils up to Std 6. The Std 6s’ along with their teachers amalgamated
and moved to become part of Livingstone High School.
With the implementation of the Group Areas Act and forced removals, the Rosmead
community was dealt a heavy blow as the majority of them were displaced across the Cape
Flats and areas further a field. Despite the odds, many parents continued to send their children
to Rosmead, since it was the only one of many coloured primary schools to have survived in
the Claremont area. In the eighties, the pupil roll dwindled and subsequent closure was imminent. In 1987, the principal and parents resisted closure by the then House of Representatives Tri-cameral
Parliament and opened its doors to all pupils, disregarding the segregation policies of the
state. Consequently the roll swelled as a result of pupils enrolling from areas as far afield as
Khayelitsha, Gugulethu, Nyanga, Langa, Mitchell’s Plain, Manenberg, etc.
Today, the pupil roll stands at 738 learners, inclusive of the introduction of Grade R’s, a few
years ago.A Commuter School Due to the fact that we have a commuter school, rather than a community school, the parental involvement in the school has never been developed to any great degree. This has
always been a restricting factor when it comes to parent meetings, parent/teacher contact,
governing body meetings and development, parent committees and home visits. A large
portion of the learners rely on privately owned taxis and public transport to get to and from